Thursday, 5 July 2007

HELP - G33K ALERT

Although I have worked in the IT industry for approx 14 years I have never considered my self a geek/nurd etc.

However, having got the 'lets just have a play' bug I have been looking at running Linux on MS Virtual PC 2007 with some limited success and also trying to run Linux On A Stick (USB Flash Drive).

Why? Why Not!

But it has been one of those things where I have got compulsive over trying to make the damn thing work!

So as I am writing this post on a Linux PC that is running from my 1GB flash drive does that mean I am doomed? :)





I have tried several flavours of Linux
Debian
Ubuntu 6.06 LTS
Xubuntu
Knoppix
PCLinux
Centos
Kbuntu
Feather Linux
DSL (Damn Small Linux)
and
Puppy Linux (which is the one that worked for me) - It has a very MS Windows feel, and comes with various apps installed.

I am attempting to Load Open Office, FireFox and Thunderbird. Unfortunately the Portable Apps I run on my other 5GB Flash Drive which gives me OpenOffice, FireFox, Thunderbird, Sunbird and some others I cannot recall, only comes in Windows version a.t.m. however a Linux version is promised soon according to the website.

I'll let you know how it goes. Oh well must dash, now where did I put that Scholl Footware catalogue... ;)

No comments: