Thursday, 7 February 2008

How To Win Friends And Influence People

I take pride in the fact that I'm a Circuit Rider. I enjoy my job and the chance to benefit others by my good works. The fact that I am one of a small but growing band of IT professionals dedicated to making the VCS a better place also gives me the 'warm rosey glow' factor I did not have in the Private Sector.

The one thing we seem to suffer from when we talk about our work as Circuit Riders is people hear the word IT and they instantly hear GEEK and this has an effect similar on their brains as the infamous Babel Fish of HGTG fame and instantly translates every thing said in to some obscure and ancient Japanese dialect.

And we really don't help ourselves. You only have to read some of the various mail lists ...

On a list i regularly visit someone posted a link to an article by Stephen, Col Melchet, Fry (yes that Stephen Fry) about open source and Linux. It illicited 20 responses so far from various individuals. Most of them were in the first hour of posting the original article.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and as to freedom of speech, go for it, but why is it when ever anyone tries to injecty humour in to a topic we get the same camps making the same points over and over again.

The fastest way I know to get a response from one of these lists is to post a comment that says
Bill Gates is King
or
This free software is great!

Come on chaps! Lets prove to the world we to have a sense of humour!

No comments: